Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


GOODREADS BLURB:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.




REVIEW:
Wow, I'm so torn! On one hand, I absolutely loved this book. on the other, I had some beefs. Here they are:

THE GOOD:
Oh my word, the descriptions! Loved, loved, loved the detail. I could see all of it, and I appreciated that it wasn't overkill. Hodkin has a knack for this obviously, and she doses it very effectively. Another thing I loved was her ability to truly MAKE me read the next chapter. She didn't end chapters oddly, she simply left just enough of a morsel that you truly couldn't justify not moving on and finding out what happened. Also, her character building and ability to make you care what happened to her characters was good. The evolution of Noah was excellent.

THE BAD:
What happened to Jamie? I felt like Hodkin just let him slip through the cracks. Hopefully this is remedied in the sequel, but it definitely felt like she just decided to stop writing about him. Also, a lot of the wording used felt above YA. Not to say that YA can't have academic words, quite the contrary, but I really had a hard time seeing teens speaking the way they did sometimes. Also, it's literally almost 75% of the way through the book before anything is actually explained. Don't get me wrong, I love a good build up, but making me go that long without good answers just seems a bit exaggerated.

CONCLUSION:
This is a great novel. I read it in 2 days, so it's a pretty quick read. The characters are great, and I'd love to see what's next for Mara and Noah. I will definitely pick up the sequel, but I'm hoping Hodkin will get things rolling a bit quicker next time.

FAVORITE QUOTES:
"My God, you're like the plague."
"A masterfully crafted, powerfully understated, and epic parable of timeless moral resonance? Why thank you. That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me," he said.
"The disease, Noah. Not the book."
"I'm ignoring that qualification."
 * * *
"I'm more well rounded than you."
"Not possible. You're American," he said. "And if it's true, it's only because you like crap."
"How is it that you have friends, Noah?"
"I ask myself that daily."
* * *
"No, it isn't irrelevant. You want me as much as I want you. And all I want is you."
My tongue warred with my mind. "Today," I whispered.
Noah stood slowly, his body skimming mine as he rose. "Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever." Noah's eyes held mine. His stare was infinite. "I was made for you, Mara."

RATING: 4 Books

No comments:

Post a Comment