Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Release Date: March 27, 2007
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 485
Received: Purchased
Rating: 3 out of 5 Books


GOODREADS BLURB:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .



I'm coming away from this one a little disappointed, but I didn't dislike the book...



THE GOOD:
This was Clare's debut into the Shadowhunter world, and she did it was great finesse. Her world planning was well thought out and she delivered an excellent array of characters. Her writing was great - not as good as it has obviously developed into with the newest of her installments, but still very, very good. I enjoyed the ride and I will certainly be reading the rest of the series


THE BAD:
This book wasn't bad, it's just it took me a lot longer to read than her others I've read thus far. I kept thinking to myself that she has a bit of a formula: girl who doesn't know what she is, snarky & sarcastic boy, and a gentle soul boy. Not to say it isn't a good combo, but I guess I just wished that the main character roles weren't quite so similar. The twists were a bit more in plain sight than in her other books too, but I believe that is something that again she's honed after all of the great books she's put out. So the bad isn't bad, it's just not my taste. Still, it's a good book.


OVERALL:
Clare is still by far one of my favorite authors. This just wasn't my favorite book from her. I think I'm going to give Clare a rest for a bit and come back to her Mortal Devices series after having read a couple different books, just so it's fresh again. I still recommend her books vehemently, I just think it might be time for a change in palate for me. :)


RATING: 3 of 5 Books

No comments:

Post a Comment